Thursday, November 27, 2014

Chemo #8 and HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Thanksgiving Day, 11/27/14

Happy Thanksgiving to all! We know this year, more than ever, that we have so much for which we are thankful! May we never take life, health, family or friends for granted ever again! Though we are a midst great trial in our lives, we are also keenly aware of God's many blessings. It's so easy to take details of our lives for granted when everything is going great...trust me, I KNOW! I've done it for years. Actually, I've done it much of my life. I've had a relatively seamless life in comparison to many. And even now, despite Elliot having cancer, I am absolutely aware that things could be worse. I thrive on the hope and prognosis that we currently are given. I will hope and thrive on that until I have any reason to think otherwise. However, there are many who do not have the same hope and prognosis that we have; if that happens to be you, please know that my thoughts and prayers have been with you ALL DAY! 

Today was another positive day at Mayo. Elliot's blood counts were great, and he received chemo as expected. He was a trooper, as usual, and Julia was a great support. We had a nice Thanksgiving brunch between appointments, and we were all able to get some sleep on the trip home (except for Dan of course)!

Let me be honest about this past week. It was tough. Don't get me wrong, nothing major happened, but my mommy emotions finally kicked in. Up until this point, I've been able to be a rock...strong and happy (with God's help of course) But lets be serious...it's tough watching my little boy day-in and day-out with much less energy than normal, minimal hair, pale skin and red eyes. I'm not trying to paint a sad picture because quite frankly, he does so well. I am, however, being honest, just as I have always been throughout this entire journey. Needless to say, my heart still aches, and I ask the tough questions. Why Elliot? It doesn't make sense. We've tried to do everything right, just as most parents do. I don't expect answers to my questions, but they still run through our minds...daily. I've been able to shed some much-needed tears this week and mourn a loss of our normalcy. Our new normal is good, but it's different. As a previous social worker, and sister of a therapist, I'm aware that these steps are necessary and good, but let me tell you, it's not really that fun, as many of you know!

Other than my emotions this week, things have been great. :) We continue to receive support from our amazing family and friends. Your continued prayers, cards, financial support, hugs, meals, visits, etc. bless us EVERY DAY! You seriously have no idea how much you all mean to us. We had no idea the amount of love and support that existed for our family. It has brought happiness and love to our lives every day. THANK YOU!

May you all experience the love of God, family and friends this Thanksgiving. If your day wasn't what you expected, know that you are not alone, but that different is okay. We can find love and happiness, even in the tough circumstances. I'm not pretending to understand where you are, but I'm letting you know that you're not alone. God's blessings to you!

Thanksgiving brunch after "Tubey's tail" got put on
 Killing time between labs and chemo at the hospital
 More playing at the hospital
                                                                                        

Chemo



Weekly car snooze after chemo

 Thanksgiving cuddles after chemo at home
Thanksgiving dinner at home...chicken stir fry! :)



 Snuggles with mommy

5 comments:

  1. Simone, I did not have a child with cancer but a daughter with many medical issues and surgeries and I would be able to be strong and together while she was going through all those things and then would fall apart when we would get home from the hospital, tears would come then and I felt that they helped. You and your family are loved by so many people and thank you for this blog as it helps people understand and how to pray. Hugs to you and your sweet brave boy and your family Praying for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It helps to know that I'm not alone in my feelings!

      Delete
  2. I continue to pray an follow your blog!! So glad everything is going so well. My dad started chemo on Wed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very, very thankful to have such a wonderful and kind host family!!! May the kindnesses and cares that you give me and others bring you all prosperity and great support for Elliot! #GoTeamElliot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ravi. Sorry we haven't been more present. I'm thankful that Dan gets to see you so often!

      Delete